Friday, May 20, 2011

Bullying by any other name…

  is still bullying.

I am actually at a loss for words. It seems that everyday I hear something that just throws me for a loop.

I know I should be used to the crazy and insane news about bullying, after all, there is a huge anti-bullying movement happening all over the country and the world, but that doesn’t seem to be the case in a South Florida Pompano Beach High School.

Bullying is not just physical. It comes in many forms and one of them is abuse of power. We reprimand, and in some cases even arrest people for bullying, but what do we do when the person bullying is supposed to be the one setting an example?


I’m not surprised that Broward County officials are concerned. Children learn by example and here’s a chance to attack the root of the bullying problem. Now, the question is, are Broward County School Officials going to face this problem head on, or are they going to just slap his principal's hand and sweep this under the proverbial political rug?

In my most humble opinion, Broward needs to use this unfortunate event to send a very clear example that bullying whether as a student, teacher, or school official will not be tolerated. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment